Now that school is out, many parents will be looking for fun activities to keep kids busy. Here are a few simple and inexpensive ideas to get your kids outdoors and having fun this summer break!
- Nature walks: Leisurely strolls through your local park and pathways are a great way to pass the time and reconnect as a family. To make it more interactive, create a nature scavenger hunt using animals or vegetation.
- U-Pick Farm: Get up early, grab the sunscreen and head to your local U-pick berry farm. Turn it into a full day experience with a fun afternoon spent baking treats at home!
- Backyard fun: Invite the neighbors over and build a backyard fun zone! Create an obstacle course using pool noodles & hula hoops. Draw hopscotch squares in chalk. Host a potato sack race using old pillow case covers. And don’t forget everyone’s favorite – water balloons!
- Picnic in the park: Pack a healthy & delicious lunch and visit your local park or lake. Don’t forget to stop by the local ice cream shop for a sweet treat before you head home.
- Fishing: Teach a child to fish and create memories to last a lifetime. Fishing is not only a game of patience, but can be invaluable in teaching kids about the ecosystem and where food comes from. Not to mention the extended one on one time – perfect for putting away those electronics and reconnecting as a family!
- Plant a garden: Planting, growing and maintaining a garden is a great summer activity to get kids involved with. Not only can they pitch in and help, they can also benefit from the fruits of their labour – literally!